Bookish

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Les Rois de la rue de Lagos

 Okada, the kings of Lagos Road!


 
Okada, Les Rois de la route de Lagos. Okada, the kings of Lagos Road!
 
Okada (Commercial motorcycle) which is known with its different names like Acahaba (northern Nigeria), Okada (western Nigeria), Going (plateau, Nigeria), Zemijan (Cotonou, Benin). It's actually got this name from a defunct airline named Okada Air which was owned by Esama of Benin chief Gabriel Igbinedion who hailed from Okada village in Edo State. Okada is Known with speed and it does not waste time waiting for full passengers on board; sometimes it could fly to the passengers' destination without much delay.
 
Since the ban of commercial motorcycles in Lagos I have decided not contribute to this sensitive issue (on either side of the government or the cyclists) because some of my friends who knew my position about this means of transportation will think I'm prejudice against this trade; I have had my own share of their reckless riding. (The rider hung me on a moving vehicle, but I'm sure you don't want to imagine what went through my mind!).
After the law enforcement agents swung into action of arresting erring cyclists, I can only imagine what the hardship will be on Okada riders and millions of  their clients ( oh like me). The effect took tows on me on Saturday when I had to go for a program in any area where buses don't ply.
 
The weather was terribly hot, I had to wait for 45 minutes on my luck in the sun  for me to get a bike from Ikeja to Alausa. But your guess is as good as mine, it seems I was looking for alcohol in Saudi Arabia. It wasn't a straight journey either as the smart rider had to do a detour from the regular route to avoid meeting his assumed enemies.(#police of course#) and he charged twice the normal price (his look would not allow me to complain about the fare) .
 
Trust the okada riders association, they went to town on Monday to demonstrate their grievances against Lagos state government. They destroyed many government properties including the BRT buses  and thousands of commuters were left stranded in different areas of the state.
 
The Lagos state house of assembly was spitting fire that if the riders continue to destroy government properties they would be left with no other option than to set a total ban on their trade.
  
But the question on the lips of many Lagosians is that, what are the alternative job opportunities provided by the government for the Okada riders in order to  alleviate poverty level which will reduce the already exploded unemployment menace in the country?
 
Commuters were left stranded for hours at various bus stops of the state, I expect that the government should have made available other means of transportation to ease this untold hardship on the citizenry.
 
Looking at the Okada casualites in hospital accross  state (there are Okada wards in Lagos hospitals)and the havoc Okada has caused so many Lagosians one will begin to wonder how long are we going to be living at the mercy of these commecrcial motorcyclists.
 
When two elephants jostle, what gets hurt is the grass.
 
 

 

No comments: