Bookish

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Au Revoir, the Ogbuefi of the Universe

Late Amadi Ogbonna, former group entertainment editor of Vanguard Newspaper
Forever will this charming smile on your face be in my memory; you were a premium brand in an outstanding small package. Mr. Amadin this was my usual way of calling your name, to others you were simply Amadi Ogbonna.
 
 On my birthday November 27 in 2005, that day was the first time I met you, you came in to my office in your usually bubbling way, you exchanged pleasantries with my other colleagues who were all hailing you name. You finally came to me and said "damsel won't you say Hi to your darling you're seeing for the first time" in your voice you told me your name "I'm Amadi Ogbonnaya, the Guru". There and there you became my friend, you ordered snacks and drinks for me on my day.
 
 You became my mentor and a big brother, you saw the talent that was hidden in me and you encouraged me to pursue the dream I never saw. I can still remember when you called me and said "Bibi, why don't you go to Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON) and register for the their profession exams, I'm very sure you will do well" I had my doubts but because I have taken you as a confidant, mentor and a wonderful brother, I weighed the possibilities and keyed into the vision, boss today it has paid off.

Even after my certification you also encouraged me to do public relations with the Nigeria Institute of Public Relations (NIPR). I also did and you knew I love PR now. I credit it you sir.
 
During my low moments, you were a brother from another mother whom any sister like me can cry on the shoulder, everybody in the office in still in shock over your transition. Two days ago, Louis saw you pictures on the Internet, I know they said men don't cry and Louis has always shown the he is a very strong and brave man but his braveness couldn't save him from weeping like a little boy. That was how close you were to our hearts.
 
You knew your job very well; the dexterity with which you carried out your assignments amazed me. You were an archive of Nigeria’s entertainment industry, you had everybody information and you broke hot stories before any of your colleagues in the industry. Many will agree that you were better than Wikipedia on Nigeria's entertainment local contents.
  
The rare energy and passion you displayed to see that the deregulation of collective management organisations (CMO's) in Nigeria is carried out was one of the many reasons you were honoured by Musical Copyright Society Nigeria (MCSN) in 2009 for professionalism and advocacy for protection of intellectually property in Nigeria.
 
You were a gentleman, you loved your wife and the three boys dearly. Oh your mother and sisters were always on your mind, I’m sure mama is very devastated right now.
  
The Guru, your death is painful to everyone because there would be no other Amadin, the Oguefi of the universe again. My joy is the way and manner you preached about Jesus, your passion for God was outstanding. Religion did not in any way affect our friendship, you always called me Alhaja. That was the civility that came with the brand AMADI OGBONNA.
  
I particularly liked your face when I upset you, but I loved the smile on your face more when we settled our differences. The fast rate at which you made peace after an argument kept me wondering why does he bordered or worked himself up by getting angry in the first place. Your were an Igbo man of class but your understanding of Yoruba language is terrific, we never ever spoke in English after our first meeting. You were not tribalistic, you married my Yoruba sister from Osun state, so I bagged an automatic sister-in-law from you.
 
Showtime in Vanguard Newspaper will not be the same again, I read Amadi when I get my Saturday Vanguard. Mr. Amadi you came to the world and your impact is everywhere because of the many lives like mine that you inspired, forever I’m indebted to you.

I’m grateful to God almighty that our paths crossed, "What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal"- Albert Pike.
Adieu big boss. Amadi Ogbonna!
 
 

No comments: