Bookish

Friday 22 June 2012

Awin

Strange but many of its eaters do not know is English name........

Shelled Tamarind
Many people love this sweet fruit but the irony is that many of its eaters like me do not know is English name.

I have asked many people what the English name is and many people have also asked me, but our answers remain the same at all time "funny enough you know I don't the English name".

Trust me, now I have a brief history about our favorite fruit "Awin".

Un-shelled Tamarind
 Dialium indum, the velvet tamarind, is a tall,tropical fruit bearing tree. It is found to grow in dense savannah forests, shadowy canyons and gallery forests and it can be found in countries like senegal, Nigeria and Ghana.
Velvet tamarind  s knowin as Yoyi, Sierra Leone, Senegal, and Nigeria where it is known as Awin in Yoruba, Icheku in Igbo and Tsamiyar kurm in Hausa.


The flavor of the fruit is similar to tamarind, where it derives its English name. So now that you know the name, when next you're asked just go ahead, feel cool and say "Tamarind"

<><>
<><>
Tamarind Tree

No comments: