Bookish

Friday 8 June 2012

One Long week, Too many tears


Life is most times full of irony but one major lesson I've learnt  this past few days is to sincerely show absolute love to people that matter most in my life.

Sunday June 3, 2012 started like any other Sundays, no light to enjoy my weekend to the fullest, all I had was my old friend (I mean my mum), she is fun to be with but will sometimes not allow you enjoy your quite sleep because of the song from her transistor radio.

If she is not gisting with you, she will gladly be relaying events as they unfold on her radio to you, sometimes I enjoy it and most time I just want to be left alone to enjoy my quite moment on my maracana stadium (my bed) which is usually my comfort zone.

After my lunch and prayer, I decided to just quietly retire to my zone when I heard her knock on my door, reluctantly I asked her in and as usually she said with a sad face that it was just reported that a plane crashed in Lagos with 50 people on board, I’m quite sure the shock did not give her the courage to listen well to the exact number.

Within 20 minutes of this shocking news which has put me into a jumble, calls started coming from everywhere and from everyone I know asking with concern to know my where about, I also sent out call to my colleagues to also find out where they were. After 45 minutes we had comprehensive news from radio Lagos given the figures at 183 people on board.

In my state of confusion I wondered, how will one explain calamity of this magnitude on a nation, families and friends just in a day. I do not have any direct relations with people on board but I’m quite sure I will have a friends/friends or friends’ friend who will probably have a family member, friends or colleagues.

As a nation we have witnessed so many of this crashes in the past without appropriate investigation from the authority saddled with such responsibility, oh my God how do you console a family who lost 6 people in a day in to this unfortunate incident – this is just too much too bear.

Not only this crash, on Thursday Ibadan expressway also witnessed a major accident where it was reported that more than hundreds of people lost their life and vehicles. No thanks to petrol tankers whose trucks gutted fire, also that weekend Boko Haram struck and killed over 20 people. Why do we deliberately shed blood and kill beautiful and innocent people that we can’t create? Will God be ever happy with us?

 As I write this I remember Dr. Livi Ajunoma and his rested program on Nigeria Television Authority “Livi Ajonuma Live on NTA” his charming aura on his program then is what I can’t forget in an hurry, the picture of the air hostesses I saw made my heart bleeds. Are this wonderful people all gone? 

What more can I say than to say NCAA and federal government should do all within their power to get to the root of this so that Nigerians will see flying as the safety option of transportation, the familyiesof the all people on DANA air on that unfaithfully Sunday get adequate compensation without delay and the Iju-Ishaga residents who life’s and properties were affected should also get adequate attention and compensation.

To all the little angels, adorable grannies, beautiful brothers and sisters and to Vivian the bride to be but never was, I say may God grant you all eternal rest and peace. Amen!

No comments: