Bookish

Friday 19 April 2013

The Rotten Generation

 


Hello people I'm sorry this is coming a bit late, it's just a slow moving wheel trying to clog my movements. From court to jail, I'll give you the details of my five days journey to Kirikiri "The  Federal Republic of Freedom."

 Just check back on the blog to see the beautiful, the ugly and gory sides of Kirikiri.

Now to this gist I've to tell you, let get down to d'affaire du jour.

How can you total blame professor Wole Soyinka for calling my generation a wasted one, when the level of indiscipline among the youth is worst than what the older generations currently  display.

In the past few days I've witnessed what will make me not agree more with the professor that we are all in terrible mess especially within my generation and the ones after mine.

My mind has not rested since these events that I'm about to relay to you.

I'm so troubled that I'm wondering why the current political shenanigans will not be right when we accused them of their sit-tight rule attitude and they will gladly tell whoever cares to listen that mine generations lack leadership qualities and that we are worse off than them.

 They said they can't in any way trust us with power. Do you blame them, huuuuh!!!!!!

I was in one of the banks around my office on the first Tuesday after the just concluded Easter holiday, the queue was long and pressure on the cashiers was hectic.

Just as we queued for us to take our turns to be attended to, a young man said he was not ready to queue because he needed to pay his money in at least 25 minutes and leave the bank.

A young man just of his age was bold enough to tell him that if we truly want Nigeria to be good and Nigerians to be taken serious by the outside world, the youth must be to be the engine of change. I never knew I've not heard the worse from the un-repentance young lad who proudly said Nigeria is destroy and he's not ready to be an apostle of change. He said if he's giving the opportunity of leadership tomorrow he will not only go there to loot the national treasury but he will also take national cake for his three generations.

I was shamed for his uncivilized utterances, in that shame I left the banking hall after my transaction without any comment. I guess I was too dismal to any word. But the thought of the scenarios was in my head for many days.

Where’s the responsibility of trust, I guess this young man is a fresh graduate who will probably be scouting for an employment in a financial house. His guarantors must better watch their backs. #just a warning!




Just few days after the bank experience, I went to Ikeja mall and I had to queue for bread (2 loaves of bread because I can’t buy more than that, that’s the rule). I've been on the queue for at least 30minutes and in within this time I saw a young girl of about 12years strolling around the queue. I thought she was shopping but to my utmost surprise she came to me and politely greeted me and asked if I could help her get one loaf extra with my own.

I told her that I'm buying two loaves and obviously she knew I can't help her but I couldn't let her be, so this made me to asked her out of curiosity why didnt she queue for hers. I didn't know I was in for a shocker when she proudly told me that she hates to queue for anything because it's a time waster.

Time waster I asked myself, Oh that made think if queuing is time waster then loitering to get help should be time suicidal, I didn't let her go without properly educating her of importance of queuing and orderliness. But who do I blame here? Is it her parents, teachers or the society in which this young lady found herself?

 This is a society social suicidal if you ask me!

Just as I was getting away from this uncultured attitude of these two young people, two nights ago I was chatting with my friend, Ola, after talking about the events of the past few weeks and it was time for our girly chit-chat she told me that she had a story that will surprise me, make me laugh and also sadden my heart.

I was eager to hear the gist because of the first part but I was afraid to hear the gist just because of the sad end of the tale, I braved it up just to see what I can make out of it.

She told me about a girl that she met in a group of other girls in a camp she went to give lecture. She was asking the girls what were their hubbies and this 14 years old told her that her hobbies were gossiping and abusing people.

OMG, I asked Ola if she was serious with what she told me, she said I could confirm from our other friend, Roffy who was also a facilitator at the event.

Roffy also gave me another shocker when she said the same girl had her caucus and she is a bad influence on other girls. They have to come up with a solution to break her hold on the group.

All I could ask my girls are these few questions; where does she stays, who is her mother, which school does she attends? They were as confused as I was because from their responses they were too shocked to probe further.

But Ola promised me that she will love to work with the girl, I hope she will achieve something great from this confused soul because she must be taking from her current bent psychology approach to a straight approach.

My thoughts
If a great nation is where everyone including the youth have the right to act and be hold responsible or accountable for their actions in building a sane society where do we now all go from here?

Where have we gone wrong? Do we blame those who are grooming us into adulthood to rightfully take the heritage of this great nation call Nigeria?

Is it possible with this lackadaisical attitude of my generation to contribute positive approach to nation building that will make Nigeria leap away from the developing nation to a developed one?

According to Bishop Carlos Belo he said "under your shoulders, dear young people of the entire world, weigh the responsibility to transform tomorrow's world into a society where peace, harmony and fraternity reign." Can we truly vow on this statement for my generation.


We're all clamouring for revolution, I don't know if I'm permitted to ask that can't we start the revolution from within my age bracket before we go over to the older class of the society or the entire society.

As young people, we have so much power to bring awareness and change that we truly desire if we could go by the advice of Martin Luther King Jr. by committing ourselves to the noble struggle for human rights "checking our bad attitudes and advocating against them".

He said if we follow his advice, we will make a greater person of ourselves, a greater nation of our country and a finer world to live in."

A word is enough, I promise to celebrate any young Nigerian who is truly truly an ambassador of hope soon.

I'm on the lookout because we shouldn't only blow the whistle for bad news, we should also horn it loud for good news.

Till next post just as I've promised to serve the full gist i.e. day to day affairs of being a citizen of Kirikiri (Federal Republic of Freedom)

 Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lara, its a pity we are all in the mess created by indiscipline. This is a great delima of my generation. But we can still right the wrong by standing firm against indiscipline.