Bookish

Thursday 21 February 2013

International Mother Language Day

"Learning in a language students can understand isvital for them to enjoy the right to quality education" -UNESCO.
"Oruko mi Banjo Omolaraeni, mogbadun lati ma so asayan ede Yoruba ni ibi kibi ati ni igbakugba"-My name is Banjo Omolaraeni, I love to speak Yoruba Language every time and everywhere.
 
If I express my thoughts in Yoruba just like I've done above in my secondary school, I wonder how much money Mr. Olatunde, my English teacher would have fined me for speaking in vernacular. But thank God, I'm out of his classroom and not anywhere near his cane and his punishments.
 
I join millions of natives everywhere around the world to speak their mothers' language today as we mark the International Mother Language Day which was proclaimed by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in November 1999.
 
 
It's not uncommon nowaday to see young parents who do not speak their mother langauges to their children due to their civilization claims, this is very sad because if a race looses its language, the tendencies of such race going into extinction is very high.
 
According to Bashoru Dele Momodu the best language in can ever pray is in Yoruba language.
 
So my Hausa, Ndigbo, Ishekiri, Ijaw, Kanuri, Tiv, Urhorobo, Bini brothers and sisters and all other tribes in Nigeria,  let's switch our English langauge  today for our beautiful mothers' langauges.
 
Happy Mother Language day.
 
O dabo, O digba Kanna!

No comments: