Bookish

Monday 4 February 2013

Book of the Month

 - 15 Minute Home and Family Organizer

by Emilie Barnes
The first time I saw this book, I thought it's one of the books in the market that give vague and unrealistic approach to family management but having had it for over two years now and having read it for more than six times from back to back, I know better that it's a survival kit for today's wives.
 

I gave Tunde (my bookman) the condition of reading at least three chapters of the book before paying, I guess he knew what treasure was in it because he gladly gave his nod without hesitation for me to read the whole chapters even before paying. I'm sure you want to know the outcome, I paid for my own and also bought two copies for my sisters.

Emilie Barnes carefully organized this book in such a way that it can be taken in one on one topic basis without going through the entire book. For my Christian friends, I'm sure she had you all in mind when she was planning this book because each chapter of the book starts with a Biblical quotation which explains each topic to be discussed.


15 minutes organizer is divided into ten chapters and each division also has sub-divisions which treat relevant topics under them, the following chapters are what you will see.

· Getting Started

· Cleaning

· Children

· Finances

· Holiday

· Foods and Kitchen

· Organization

· Automobile

· Time For You

· Miscellaneous

Oh, these subjects are what today's women are all battling with in every corner of the world irrespective of our class, race, colour, background and status. I guess because our race is almost the same towards being wonderful daughters, loving wives and terrific mothers. I'm very sure we are all striving to be the best of all.

Don't get mad especially in a world where there are few trusted hands out there, get a trusted book like Emile's and work on some of the tips given. This is very important because the painful part is that the trust hands also have to fix their lives. This book can help put some things in order!

My most loved parts in the book are....

- Tips on Cleaning in chapter 14 says Do it, Do it right and Do it right now

Time yourself by setting a timer. It's amazing what you can accomplish in 15 minutes (this has worked for me more than any other tips in the book especially in the early morning rush).

Tips on laundry in chapter 18 says "She makes covering for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple" -Proverb 31:22 (for the Christian mothers, you can relate with this);

To solve your missing-sock problem, invest in plastic sock sorters or safety pins are also great to keep socks paired during washing and dry cycles (at least we know the agony of looking for a pair of missing sock early in the morning when go to school);

When your iron sticks, sprinkle a little salt onto a piece of waxed paper and run the hot iron over it. Rough, sticky spot will disappear as if by magic. I've also tried it and believe me it's true.

Child Safety in chapter 23 says "in everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing"-Philippians 2:14 (for the ones that nag, this might help douse your tension)

Kitchen safety also says "keep knives in a knife holder on a wall or in a higher drawer."

When cooking on your kitchen range, keep the handles of your pots turned away from the stove. If you don't do this, children can easily dump a pot of water or food on their heads by pulling on a handle or swinging a toy overhead (scary and dangerous adventures by our angels, which we must guide against).

For those of us that love to try new menu, be rest assured that we are also not left out by the author. Menu like Lemon Ginger Muffins, Baked Parmensan Chicken, Cabbage and Beet-Green Slaw, French Potato Galettes, Mashed Potato Pancakes, Fresh Lemonade, Coleslaw, Pasta Salad and many more menu some I've tried while some I'm not bold enough to give a try.

Finally, the beauty of the book is that there are prototype charts which can help you organize your tight schedule in order to manage your life. We have daily chart, weekly chart, monthly chart, gifts recording chart, shopping chart and hospital sheet.

This book is my first gift to you in the month of January, I urge you to get it and I hope you will love everything about it. I love it so much that after my holy books, I call it my survival routine guide.

One advice before I round off is to beware of book perchers. Oh, you don't know about them because this is the type of book they target. Don't worry I will definitely talk about it soon.

Enjoy your reading, A la prochaine!

 


No comments: