Bookish

Thursday 23 August 2012

UNILAG toilets, oh no this can't be true

the
When you are in situation that you're pressed to use the restroom nothing in the world makes any sense to you until you do needful.
“The flush toilet, more than any single invention, has 'civilized' us in a way that religion and law could never accomplish.”  - Thomas Lynch. Now I understand why he said these words.

The usual examination tension or the anxiety of not sure of what questions will come out might be the reason of my being pressed which lead to my visit to the rest room at that just concluded post graduate's entrance examination or it's just nature call in the prestigious University of Lagos.

I do everything within my human capacities to avoid visiting public toilet especially in naija, but how do one explain it when your whole body is total tensed because you've not written any qualifying exams in years.

The class in which this university is place amongst its peers in Nigeria will give anybody the confidence that this public institution will be different from any other in the system, but alas I was dead wrong.

Rest rooms are suppose to be a place to find convenience and freshening up if need be. 

Public toilets in this part of the world are places you don't go except you are ready to visit a gynecologist after using them, the ladies are worse with littered tissues papers, sanitary towels and blood stains which are used to mess it up and it makes you want throw up.

The Unilag toilets especially the one closed to New Hall was well structured from outside, seeing this gave me a relief that it will be different from the normal toilets one is used to, but getting in was a total eyesore.
OMG, water on the floor! water in not running in the closet! unkempt environment! the odour oozing from all corners is worse than a dump site!  feaces not well flushed, sanitary toilet littering everywhere. 

God, how do I empty my bowel? As I was asking myself this question, another lady came in and  I'm sure she was really really pressed but in her confused states on what to do , her pen accidentally droped  and we both looked at the pen. The answer was obvious.

I leaf the toilet environment because the fear of unwanted toilet infection would not give me the courage to enter in doing the needful. I was lucky enough as I called  a friend who stays in the neighbourhood to confirm if  I could come over to use her restroom.

The thought of who is responsible for the cleaning of public toilets and toilets in Unilag preoccupied my mind that I did not realize I was sweating profusely, as I entered my friend's clean and inviting toilet I asked  myself when do we get one thing right even amongst the educated and elites.

This non-challant attitude is not only unique to Unilag but it cut across all public buildings and public toilets,  however I used a public toilet recently which is quite clean and I must give kudos to the management  and cleaners of Latter Day Saint  Church in Opebi because their toilets are what angels will love to use any day anytime because they are truly restrooms..


   

No comments: