Bookish

Thursday 2 August 2012

Reading For this holy month of Ramadan.

Al-Quran for the month of August.


To all my family members, friends and associates that are Muslims I wish you all the very best in this holy month of "Ramadan" and may Allah accept all our prayers and reward us greatly in this world and the hereafter.

In the spirit of the sacred month I've decided to read the holy book Al-Quran Kareem. If you are not a Muslim you might not understand the bond of Muslims reading the Quran at this great moment.

Quran was revealed to Mohammed(saw) in the month of Ramadan. I'm sure you propably do not know about this!  It is the month of Ramadan that the Qur'an was revealed as a guidance for mankind, clear proofs giving guidance, and the Criterion (for distinguishing right and wrong). So whoever of you witnesses this month, let him fast it.” [2:185]

Now I'm sure you know why my attachment with the book I call by many names but my favourite of them are "the constitution and guide of life" is huge.

Reading of Quran is done by most Muslims, it is done quietly and with the best of rhythms and tones. Some people finish reading the whole Quran in few days while some finished it once within the one month of Ramadan. I but I hope I can do it twice considering my busy schedule insha Allah.

But sometime I wonder, do people reflect on what they read? or are they just reading for reading sake? These questions keep bothering me because of the level of violence going on in norther region of Nigeria, the level of corruption at all government levels and our individual lives, the unfriendly manners with which we disrespect our fellow human beings in the name of class, religion and our wealth . But this topic will be for another day insha Allah.

My reason and passion for reading the Quran is that it covers all areas of life like social values and etiquette, marital, economy, health, politics and many more areas of life you can think of.

Some of the areas which keep me on my toes of being good to all I come across in life whether black or white, be it Muslims, Christians, Pagans, Hindus or Jews, short or tall, male or female, young or old are texts which Allah has used to call us to order as believers of faith to treat all men equally.

Respect for Human Life
"Do not kill yourselves, for verily Allah has been to you most merciful" -Quran 4:29

" Take no life which Allah has made sacred" -Quran 6:51

Human Dignity
"Now indeed, we have conferred dignity on all the children of Adam, and borne them over land and sea, and provided for them sustenance out of the good things of life, and favoured them far above most our creation" -Quran 17:70 

Freedom of  Choice and Religion
"There is no compulsion in religion, truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore whoever rejects Satan (and what he calls to) and believes in Allah, he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handhold, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing and Knowing" -Quran 2:256

Cleanliness
"Indeed, Allah loves those who are constantly repentant and loves those who purify themselves" -(2:222)

Equity of All
"O men! Behold, We have created you all of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes,

Justice to Orphans

Women's Inheritance Rights
"The men get a share of what the parents and the relatives leave behind. The women too shall get a share of what the parents and relatives leave behind. Whether it is a small or a large inheritance, (the women must get) a definite share" - 4-7

Murder, Suicide, and Illicit Gains Prohibited 
"O you who believe, do not consume each others' properties illicitly— only mutually acceptable transactions are permitted. You shall not kill yourselves. GOD is Merciful towards you" -4:29

Law of Human Existence
You shall worship GOD alone—do not associate anything with Him. You shall regard the parents, the relatives, the orphans, the poor, the related neighbor, the unrelated neighbor, the close associate, the traveling alien, and your servants. GOD does not like the arrogant showoffs.

If one can't reading the Arabic quran, just go for the transliterated, translated or the audio version of it. Enjoy the best of quranic reading this glorious month.

I ask myself if we do these and many others stated law in the Quran, are we going to ever have wars, hunger, injustice and corruption. Allah know best.

As I go back to the reading of my Quran, I encourage you to read it with or without Ramadan.

Ramadan Mubarak!






No comments: